Jared Leto Reacts to Pandemic After Emerging from Silent Retreat, Plus: ‘Big Brother’ Casts Learn of COVID-19
Jared Leto had been in isolation for almost two weeks, and emerged to find the world in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Oscar winner shared his reaction on Instagram, writing, "Wow. 12 days ago I began a silent meditation in the desert. We were totally isolated. No phone, no communication etc. We had no idea what was happening outside the facility."
Waiting for your permission to load the Instagram Media.
Leto went on, "Walked out yesterday into a very different world. One that's been changed forever. Mind blowing — to say the least. I'm getting messages from friends and family all around the globe and catching up on what's going on. Hope you and yours are ok. Sending positive energy to all. Stay inside. Stay safe."
Jared wasn't the only one in the dark. The casts of “Big Brother” around the globe are just learning about the seriousness of COVID-19.
Traditionally, housemates are completely cut off from the outside world.
The Germany cast, who went into isolation on February 10, will find out on live TV today, as their country nears 8,000 cases and 20 deaths.
The Canada housemates went into isolation in early March, before citizens began social distancing, borders were closed, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's wife Sophie was diagnosed with the disease.
A rep for the show told Canada's Global News, “As part of the production's precautionary measures, the houseguests have been provided a thorough update on the domestic and international status of COVID-19 along with an update that all houseguest's family members remain unaffected by COVID-19 at this time. In addition to having been in isolation for more than three weeks, the production has a resident doctor who has assessed and determined that no houseguests have exhibited any signs or symptoms related to COVID-19.”
The Australia cast, which does not film live, was also informed, after going into seclusion three weeks ago.
Endemol Shine, the production company behind “Big Brother,” told The Hollywood Reporter that “usual format rules regarding outside news do not apply in this instance” and said all casts would be notified by March 17.