Celebrity News August 31, 2011
Ron Artest on 'Dancing' for Cancer Research
Lakers star Ron Artest made the decision to be on "Dancing with the Stars" after his daughter, 8, urged him on. "My daughter Diamond was like, 'Daddy, you should do it,'" Artest told People.
The proud father apparently can't say no to Diamond, who battled cancer when she was 4. Artest turned his opportunity to be on "Dancing" into a charitable cause. "She asked me to do it, and I thought I could dance and raise some money for cancer research. I'm going to donate my profits," the Lakers forward explained.
Artest admits he wasn't on board with being on the show, saying, "At first it was not appealing. I don't dance and all of the dressing up and everything."
Ron, 31, will trade in his sneakers for dancing shoes, thanks to the NBA lockout.
Artest will be paired with "DWTS" pro Peta Murgatroyd.
Here is the complete list of season 13's "Dancing" stars and their professional partners:
* David Arquette and Kym Johnson
* Ron Artest and Peta Murgatroyd
* Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer
* Elisabetta Canalis and Val Chmerkovskiy (Maks' brother)
* Kristin Cavallari and Mark Ballas
* Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus
* Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke
* Carson Kressley and Anna Trebunskaya
* Ricki Lake and Derek Hough
* Chynna Phillips and Tony Dovolani
* J.R. Martinez and Karina Smirnoff
* Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy