Celebrity News

The Investigation Into the Investigation! The Latest on Jussie Smollett

The Investigation Into the Investigation! The Latest on Jussie Smollett
Getty

UPDATE: The city of Chicago will seek $130,000 from Jussie Smollett to help cover costs incurred by the investigation, reports NBC News.

The Jussie Smollett investigation isn’t over.

The FBI and the Department of Justice will review the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office front-page decision to drop the 16 felony charges against the “Empire” actor.

The agencies haven’t commented, but President Trump tweeted the news, writing, “FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!”

The “Empire” actor was accused of paying two brothers to stage an attack on himself in Chicago back in January, then lying to police about it. He had previously pleaded not guilty to the charges, and Tuesday insisted, “I have been truthful and consistent on every level from day one.”

Jussie forfeited a $10,000 bond and performed community service, but Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says it isn’t enough.

He wants Jussie to pay for the investigation. According to USA Today, the Mayor told the press, “When [Smollett] does pay the city back on just what the taxpayers have fronted, in that memo section [of the check], he can write, ‘I’m sorry and I’m accountable for what I’ve done.’”

Smollett’s legal team hit back, telling the paper in a statement, “It is the Mayor and the Police Chief who owe Jussie — owe him an apology — for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud. Jussie has paid enough.”

In other news, Smollett could be hitting the red carpet on Saturday at the NAACP Awards. The star is up for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama for his work on “Empire.”

Comments