Tosca Reno is giving the rundown on how to have a healthy diet. Check out the five recipes that will have you eating clean!
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped 2 cups red or white quinoa well rinsed and drained (quinoa has a bitter coating that must be rinsed off before you cook it) 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest 1 small yellow zucchini, diced 2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped 1 tsp fresh lemon juice 1 tsp fresh lime juice sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped for garnish
1. Place olive oil in a large skillet, and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Now add rinsed and drained quinoa and cook for 5 minutes. The grains should become lightly browned. Toasting the quinoa before cooking further develops the flavor of the grain. Add stock, lemon zest and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let cook, covered, for 20 minutes until quinoa becomes translucent.
2. Remove pan from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add cilantro, parsley and citrus juices. Season with sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Garnish each serving with chopped scallion.
Nutritional value per serving:
Calories: 186 Calories from fat: 28 Protein: 8g Carbohydrates: 33g Dietary Fiber: 4g Sugars: 2g Fat: 3g Sodium: 86 g
4 12"x18" parchment sheets 2 cups arugula, torn 4 (4oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 2 tsp fresh sage, chopped 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped 1 cup plum tomatoes, chopped 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided 4 tsp olive oil, best quality 4 tsp Kalamata olives, sliced and pitted (optional) cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. unfold parchment and coat lightly with cooking spray, leaving a two inch border.
2. Place 1/2 cup arugula on one side of the parchment so it touches the fold but not the ungreased border.
3. Place the chicken breast over arugula; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp sage and 1/2 tsp rosemary.
4. Top with 1/4 cup chopped plum tomato.
5. Sprinkle with one-fourth of the salt and black pepper, and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Top with 1 tsp sliced olives if desired.
6. Fold paper; seal edges with narrow folds. repeat with the remaining parchment paper, chicken and other ingredients.
7. Place the packets on baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
8. To serve, open packets and transfer arugula and chicken breast to plates. Pour juices over top. You can also serve right out of packets; carefully transfer to plates and pierce each to allow steam to escape.