2022 Emmy Nominee for Outstanding Entertainment News Program
August 29, 2008
More Recipes from Sizzling Sandra Lee
Can't get enough of Sandra Lee and her yummy recipes? Neither can we! Satisfy your appetite with these delicious dishes, from Sausage Fennel Pizza to Chocolate-Banana S'mores!
Sausage Fennel Pizza
1 package Pillsbury Pizza dough 1 cup Cabernet Marinara Sauce (Newman's Own) 1 cup chopped fennel 1 cup chopped Italian sausage Mozzarella cheese Parmesan Cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray the bottom of a baking sheet with olive oil. Roll out pizza dough onto oiled surface. Spread marinara sauce evenly over dough. Top with chopped fennel, sausage and cheeses. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until crust is browned.
1. Set up the grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking. 2. Rub halibut with taco seasoning. Let cure for 30 minutes. Grill halibut 4 minutes per side, covered. Let cool. Cut into bite-size pieces. 3. In a medium bowl, combine salsa, peaches, and allspice. 4. Put halibut pieces in warm tortillas, cover with salsa and coleslaw. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend for 40 seconds. Pour into glasses. Garnish with strawberries. Makes 2 drinks.
Baby Back Ribs with Old No. 7 BBQ Sauce Prep: 15 minutes Grill: 2 hours 3 racks pork baby back ribs 1/3 cup All-Purpose Pork Rub (see below) 2 teaspoons dry mustard, Coleman's® FOR OLD NO. 7 BBQ SAUCE: 1 bottle chili sauce, Heinz® 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, C&H® 1/3 cup whiskey, Jack Daniel's® 1/4 cup molasses, Grandma's® 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins® 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning, McCormick® Grill Mates® 2 tablespoons soy sauce, Kikkoman® 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, Wright's®
1. Soak 2 cups hickory wood chips in water for at least 1 hour. Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium heat.
2. Remove thin membrane from the back of ribs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine All-Purpose Pork Rub with dry mustard. Sprinkle over ribs and pat in.
3. Drain wood chips. Add some of the soaked wood chips to the smoke box if using gas grill or place chips on hot coals if using charcoal. Place ribs on rib rack on hot grill over drip pan (or place ribs, bone sides down, directly on hot grill). Cover grill. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Rotate ribs around rack every 30 minutes. If using charcoal, add 10 briquettes and a handful of soaked wood chips to each pile of coals every hour. If using a gas grill, add a handful of soaked wood chips to the smoke box every hour.
4. For Old No. 7 BBQ Sauce, in a medium saucepan, combine chili sauce, brown sugar, whiskey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, soy sauce, and liquid smoke. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
5. About 20 minutes before ribs are done, remove ribs from rib rack and place, meat sides down, on grill. Generously brush with Old No. 7 BBQ Sauce; stack ribs over drip pan. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn ribs; brush with additional sauce and restack. Cook 10 minutes more or until tender. Serve hot with Old No. 7 BBQ Sauce on the side. Makes 4 servings
INDOOR METHOD: Prepare ribs as directed. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place ribs, bone sides down, on a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Meanwhile, make Old No. 7 BBQ Sauce as directed. Remove ribs from oven and carefully drain fat from roasting pan. Continue baking ribs, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes more or until tender, turning and brushing occasionally with sauce during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Serve as directed.
All Purpose Pork Rub Prep: 10 minutes 2 packets (0.7 ounce each) Italian salad dressing mix, Good Seasons® 1/4 cup paprika, McCormick® 1/4 cup chili powder, Gebhardt's® 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, C&H® 2 tablespoons salt-free lemon pepper, McCormick®
You will need: Small bowl Airtight container
1. In a small bowl, combine salad dressing mix, paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, and lemon pepper. Transfer to an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 months. Makes 3/4 cup
Spray a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Crush wafers in a food processor into fine crumbs. Pour crumbs into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle Chex cereal and peanut butter chips over top; set aside. Melt chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl on 50% power for 5 minutes, stirring every 1 1/2 minutes. Pour melted chocolate over top of mixture and spread with rubber spatula. Top with mixed nuts. Cool at room temperature for four hours, or until firm. Cut into pieces and serve.
Serving Ideas: Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
SAUCY WHITE HOTS
MARINATE BRATS overnight in beer (add some garlic, onions, toasted caraway seeds, crumbled bacon). Use marinade as poaching liquid for brats before grilling.
- After poaching, use leftover brat broth for heating up sauerkraut.
- Melt butter into broth and brush on cut side of buns before grilling/toasting.
- Melt butter in broth and use as a bath for brats and onions as they come off the grill
For Meat Sauce
8 ounces lean ground beef 1 can (14-ounce) lower-sodium beef broth 1/2 cup chili sauce 2 tablespoons frozen chopped onions, thawed 1 teaspoon spicy steak seasoning 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For White Hots
4 bratwursts, Johnsonville stadium style 4 French rolls, toasted
1. In large skillet, combine ground beef, beef broth, chili sauce, onion, steak seasoning, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring to break up meat into fine pieces. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until liquid is evaporated. Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking. Place bratwursts on hot, oiled grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until done (160 degrees F), turning occasionally. Serve hot on toasted rolls. Top with meat sauce and additional chopped onion.
Grilled Sausage-and-Summer Vegetable Pasta Prep: 25 minutes Grill: 18 minutes 1 package (16-ounce) penne pasta, Barilla® 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/2 of a red onion, thickly sliced 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, Bertolli® Salt Ground black pepper, McCormick® 4 hot Italian sausages 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, Bertolli® 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix, Good Seasons® 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, Gourmet Garden® Shredded Parmesan cheese, DiGiorno®
You will need: Large pot Colander Oil 2 large bowls Vegetable grilling basket (optional) Small bowl
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Set aside. Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking. In a large bowl, toss asparagus, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, and onion with the 1 tablespoon oil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
2. Place sausages and vegetables on hot, oiled grill (use a vegetable grilling basket if desired). Watch for flare-ups when putting vegetables on grill. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until sausages are done (160 degrees F) and vegetables are al dente, turning sausages and vegetables often.
3. Remove sausages and vegetables from grill. Carefully slice sausages diagonally. In a large bowl, combine sliced sausages, vegetables, and cooked pasta.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup oil, the salad dressing mix, and garlic. Pour over pasta and toss. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings
INDOOR METHOD: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare vegetables as directed. Place vegetables and sausages in a foil-lined baking pan. Roast in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until sausages are done (160 degrees F) and vegetables are al dente. Serve as directed.
Dark Chocolate-Banana S'mores Servings: 4 4 honey graham crackers - Nabisco Honey Maid Grahams, broken in half 1 bar (4 oz.) dark chocolate bar - Hershey's Special Dark 4 marshmallows - Kraft Jet-Puffed 1 small banana, sliced
Top each graham half with a fourth of chocolate bar and one marshmallow. Place on microwave-safe plate. Heat on 100% power for 15 to 20 seconds or until marshmallow puffs. Remove and top each with two banana slices and remaining graham half.