Celebrity News February 20, 2026
Former Prince Andrew Out of Jail: New Details on Top-Secret Arrest Operation
Getty Images
New details are emerging about the former Prince Andrew’s arrest in the U.K. on his 66th birthday.
He was never handcuffed, but while in custody, he did have a mug shot taken, was swabbed for DNA, and was allowed one phone call.
We’re also learning about the top-secret operation to arrest Andrew and raid his home.
According to the British paper The Telegraph, around 20 officers drove 130 miles from London to Andrew’s estate in unmarked cars.
The officers then arrested Andrew on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
One of the officers told Andrew, “You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court.”
He was eventually taken in the back of an unmarked car to the Aylsham Police Station, where he was searched and forced to hand over his cell phone.
Before giving up his phone, it is believed Andrew called his lawyer.
He was held for about 11 hours and was later photographed in the back of a car leaving the station.
Former Prince Andrew Released Following Misconduct Arrest
View StoryIt is unknown what misconduct is under investigation.
The Guardian reports, “The arrest appears related to his conduct as a U.K. trade envoy and follows the disclosure of emails related to [the late Jeffrey] Epstein.”
Andrew has previously denied any wrongdoing related to Epstein.
Following Andrew’s arrest, King Charles released a statement on his website that said, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation."
He added, “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
The King closed with, “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”