The felony charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped, but the actor is still facing legal ramifications.
The City of Chicago is moving forward with plans to file a civil suit against the star to cover costs of the investigation.
The “Empire” actor was accused of paying two brothers to stage an attack on himself in Chicago back in January, then lying to police about it. Before the charges were dropped, Jussie pleaded not guilty. He later insisted, “I have been truthful and consistent on every level from day one.”
Smollett forfeited a $10,000 bond and performed community service, but Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel told reporters at a press conference last week that it isn’t enough. TMZ reported the city was asking the actor to pay $130,000 to cover costs incurred in the investigation.
The City of Chicago told “Extra” in a statement, “Mr. Smollett has refused to reimburse the City of Chicago for the cost of police overtime spent investigating his false police report on January 29, 2019.”
The statement goes on to say the Law Department is “drafting a civil complaint that will be filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County.”
Once filed, a copy will be sent to Smollett’s legal team.
Last week, Smollett’s legal team told USA Today in a statement, “It is the Mayor and the Police Chief who owe Jussie — owe him an apology — for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud. Jussie has paid enough.”