Spring is here! It may be on your radar to revamp your wardrobe and purge your closet of last season’s trends, but it’s important to avoid the trend trap and instead select a few key pieces for your wardrobe that will be staples.
When selecting essentials, opt for neutral hues such as grey or black, and add pops of color. Make sure to make room in your closet for your new wardrobe before a major shopping spree.
Here are 8 essential pieces for building a chic, celeb-inspired wardrobe:
1. Blazer: A blazer offers many style options. It can be worn to the office for a professional look or with boyfriend jeans for a casual look. For the best fit, opt for tailored styles with a lining. Oscar winner Kate Winslet showed off how chic a neutral blazer can be during the day.
Product: H&M Jersey Blazer, $34.95.
2. Black Pants: Black pants with a modern twist are a must for any wardrobe. They work with a denim jacket for a laid-back, contemporary look, or pair them with a plunging blazer like Olivia Wilde for an evening look.
Product: Banana Republic Black Drape Pant, $89.50.
3. Print Blouse: A printed blouse will add flare and fun to your wardrobe, especially if it has a pop of color. Coordinate with jeans or a skirt for a girly look like Anna Kendrick did.
Product link: The Limited Lace Peplum Top, $35.
4. Little Black Dress: An LBD is a look that has become a style phenomenon and won’t be going away anytime soon. A little black dress is great for all occasions, casual to formal. Go for a fun silhouette or monochromatic pattern. Jennifer Garner looked beautiful in this dress with a little flare in the hemline.
Product: BCBGeneration Dress, $68.
5. Basic White Tee: A basic white tee is great for those days when nothing seems to work. You can dress it up with a suit, or dress it down with your favorite jeans. Pair your favorite tee with a spring skirt like Minka Kelly did for a stroll around town.
Product: Express Burnout Trapeze Tee, $29.90.
6. Jeans: Jeans are a stylish addition to any wardrobe. They are great for denim day at the office, a night out on the town with the girls, even a first date. Choose a style that best flatters your figure. The boot cut Mindy Kaling is wearing is flattering to most figures.
Product: J.Crew Bootcut Jeans, $89.99.
7. Pencil Skirt: A sleek pencil skirt can be worn from office to evening. Try a style with a feminine print or luxurious fabric such as lace, like Katy Perry.
Product: Topshop Cord Lace Pencil Skirt, $35.
8. Jacket: Faux, leather or denim, a jacket is great with almost everything in your wardrobe. Victoria Justice wore a stylish jacket with a fun skirt for a more polished look. Try a flirty look with a dress for an evening on the town.
Product: AE Denim Vested Hoodie Jacket, $49.99.
By Mignon A. Gould, The Chic Spy