Bill Cosby wants the “black media” to stay “neutral” as the rape and sex abuse allegations mount against him.
Cosby spoke briefly to the NY Post on Saturday from his home in Massachusetts, and while he did not address the allegations directly, he told the Post, “Let me say this. I only expect the black media to uphold the standards of excellence in journalism and when you do that you have to go in with a neutral mind.”
According to the Post, the 77-year-old said his lawyers have advised him not to talk to reporters about the ongoing allegations, but Cosby still sounded upbeat and even praised his wife, Camille, when asked how she was holding up.
“Love and the strength of womanhood,” the comedian said. “Let me say it again, love and the strength of womanhood. And, you could reverse it, the strength of womanhood and love.”
Then Cosby ended the conversation, stating, “They don't want me talking to the media.”
Joining a list of nearly two dozen women, supermodel Beverly Johnson was the most recent alleged victim to speak up, claiming Cosby drugged her in the mid-'80s.
While representatives for Cosby have not responded to Johnson's claims, Cosby's lawyer, Marty Singer, released a statement last month regarding the "alleged decades-old events" against his client, saying they are "unsubstantiated stories” and asking the media to stop the "vilification of Mr. Cosby."
Cosby settled a civil suit with an alleged victim in November 2006.