Last night, Kim Kardashian shocked the world when she released parts of the Kanye West and Taylor Swift phone conversation in which they discussed his song “Famous.”
In the conversation, Taylor seemingly approved of his lyrics and thanked Kanye for making her aware of them. After the conversation was released on Kim’s Snapchat, Taylor wrote on Instagram, “I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative, one that I never asked to be a part of, since 2009.”
In September 2009, Kanye ignited the feud with Taylor when he crashed her acceptance speech at the 2009 MTV VMAs, when he said that Beyoncé should have won for Best Female music video instead of Taylor.
The two were not be on good terms until 2015, when they were snapped getting friendly at the Grammy Awards. Here’s what happened betwen Taylor and Kanye from 2009 until now:
- After Kanye interrupted Taylor’s speech, he made an appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” apologizing for his actions. He said, "It was rude, period. I don't try to justify it, 'cause I was in the wrong. Dealing with the fact that I hurt someone or took anything away, you know, from a talented artist — or from anyone — because I only wanted to help people.”
- Days later, Taylor spoke about the incident on “The View,” saying, "I'm not going to say I wasn't rattled by it. I had to perform live five minutes later, so I had to get myself back to the place where I could perform... All the other artists who showed me love in the hours following that, I just never imagined there were that many people out there looking out for me.”
- A year later, Kanye publicly apologized to Taylor, tweeting, "I'm sorry, Taylor. We're both artists, and the media and managers are trying to get between us. She deserves the apology more than anyone. Thank you (Twitter co-founders) Biz Stone and Evan Williams for creating a platform where we can communicate directly.”
- Fast forward to February 2015, Taylor and Kanye were snapped hanging out at the Grammys and eventually grabbing dinner at the Spotted Pig days later.
- In August, Swift confirmed that she and Kanye had buried the hatchet, telling Vanity Fair, "I feel like I wasn’t ready to be friends with him until I felt like he had some sort of respect for me, and he wasn’t ready to be friends with me until he had some sort of respect for me — so it was the same issue, and we both reached the same place at the same time. I became friends with Jay Z, and I think it was important, for Jay Z, for Kanye and I to get along... And then Kanye and I both reached a place where he would say really nice things about my music and what I’ve accomplished, and I could ask him how his kid’s doing.”
- That same month, Taylor presented the Video Vanguard award to Kanye at the MTV Video Music Awards, where she was also spotted wrapping her arms around Kim.
- A month later, Taylor thanked Kanye for the flowers he sent her on Instagram.
- In February, Kanye released “Famous,” which featured a line about Taylor, saying, “I made that b**tch famous.”
- Days later, Taylor won a Grammy and seemed to call out Kanye in her acceptance speech. She commented, “People along the way will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments.”
- In June, Kim claimed that Taylor was well aware of Kanye’s lyrics about her and approved them.
- Last week, a clip of Kim defending Kanye and accusing Taylor of lying was released for the upcoming episode of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”
- After the episode aired, Kim took to Snapchat to release bits of the phone conversation between Taylor and Kanye. Though she admitted to being on the call, Taylor hit back at the couple on Instagram for “character assassination" and reiterated the fact that she was not made aware that he would call her "that b**ch."