USA Today reports "The Secret Life of Pets" outperformed its already enormous expectations, grossing an estimated $103.2 million at the box office over the weekend.
"The Secret Life of Pets" becomes the sixth-highest debuting film at the B.O. this year, and one of only 39 to ever debut with over $100 million. It now holds the record for the largest first week by any original animated movie.
Speaking of which, the flick took over the top spot from "Finding Dory," another animated movie also about animals... fish, to be exact. While "Dory" sank to #3, it has already become the winningest animated film of all time at the North American box office.
The Top 5 at the box office this weekend:
(1) "The Secret Life of Pets," $103.2 million
(2) "The Legend of Tarzan," $20.6 million
(3) "Finding Dory," $20.4 million
(4) "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates," $16.6 million
(5) "The Purge: Election Year," $11.7 million