Wilson is the latest celebrity to have undergone the surgery, and to share the devastating news in hopes of encouraging others to get screenings and second opinions, writing on her Facebook page:
“There is some news I want to share with you in hopes that if you or any woman you know is dealing with this that a second opinion is necessary and vital. Not just by another doctor but by another pathologist.”
In a statement she released to People magazine, Wilson said she feels "blessed" to have the love and support of her husband, Tom Hanks, friends, family and the doctors who saved her life.
The 58-year-old actress has been a champion in the battle against the disease, telling “Extra” in a past interview that it claimed the life of her aunt, and that “in my lifetime, we have to find a cure."
With her husband of 27 years by her side, Wilson underwent the surgery last week after first being told a suspicious growth was not cancerous. Wilson made the lifesaving decision by opting to get a second opinion on the advice of her friend, a breast cancer survivor, saying, “early diagnosis is key.”
Renowned Cancer Specialist Dr. Maggie DiNome, who did not perform Wilson’s surgery, thinks it’s the right choice if someone feels uncomfortable with a diagnosis or a plan for treatment. “If they need somebody else to see, get that reassurance. I think that’s the best thing for them.”
Wilson expects to make a full recovery, saying on Facebook, “I'm doing well and getting stronger every day.” She also thanked well-wishers on Twitter by saying, "I am overwhelmed with gratitude by your prayers and good wishes and the kindness you're sending. Thank you."
I am overwhelmed with gratitude by your prayers and good wishes and the kindness you're sending. Thank you. Thank you.— Rita Wilson (@RitaWilson) April 15, 2015