Epic Records is planning to release a new Michael Jackson album in May, nearly five years after the King of Pop’s death.
Here’s what we know so far:
1. The album will be called “Xscape,” named after one of the new singles that MJ co-wrote with Rodney Jerkins.
2. You can preorder it now on iTunes. The release date is set for May 13.
3. Epic Chairman L.A. Reid was granted access to four decades worth of Michael’s unreleased recordings.
4. The idea is to “contemporize” the songs with the help of several producers he had expressed a strong desire to work with, or who worked with Michael in the past.
5. Timbaland is the lead producer on the project.
6. Epic execs say that Michael “was always relevant and current. These tracks, in many ways, capture that spirit.”
7. Sound experts have verified Jackson’s voice, putting to rest any fears about the authenticity of the new album.